Design Notes: Fall Maintenance Checklist for Churches and Parochial Schools
Is your church property ready for winter?
It is time to take care of problems like these!
FALL MAINTENANCE CHECKLIST FOR CHURCH & PAROCHIAL SCHOOL FACILITIES
- Repair broken or spalled concrete walks and steps.
- Grind concrete walk joints that are raised and cause tripping hazards.
- Repair potholes in asphalt or concrete.
- Inspect parking lot lighting.
- Trim tree limbs and shrubs to prevent from rubbing against the building, and dropping leaves/branches onto roofs.
- Remove ivy climbing on masonry walls.
- Remove debris from outdoor drainage grates.
- Keep landscaped areas pitched away from building foundations.
- Confirm outdoor lighting is operable and replace burned out lamps.
- Inspect fencing and gates for rot, rust, and deterioration.
- ROOF INSPECTION
- Remove leaves and debris from gutters and downspouts.
- Verify ice melt cabling is working properly to prevent ice dams.
- Clean debris from drains on flat roofs.
- Inspect for loose or damaged shingle areas.
- Inspect pitched and flat roofs for loose flashing and wall coping caps.
- Inspect flashing around chimneys to determine if they are loose or have failing sealant joints.
- EXTERIOR WALLS
- Inspect caulking and flashing at doors, windows, and wall joints (weep joints should not be covered with caulk).
- Inspect windows for cracked glass.
- Inspect window weatherstripping.
- Verify motion sensors and timers for lights are working properly.
- Inspect outdoor electrical outlets to confirm they are working and covers are securely in place.
- Inspect window well covers.
- Review masonry walls for cracked or open joints that need tuckpointing.
- EXTERIOR DOORS
- Adjust doors to allow for proper clearance.
- Lubricate all hardware.
- Replace worn weatherstripping.
- STAINED GLASS
- Inspect for excessive bowing.
- Replace or repair cracked glass.
- Check for rusting supports.
- Repair deteriorated lead joints.
- Remove peeling paint from frames and repaint.
- HEATING EQUIPMENT
- Replace filters.
- Lubricate motors.
- Check belts.
- Boiler/furnace inspection to confirm they operate and vent properly.
- Shut off water hose connection at interior, open hose connection and drain.
- Install outdoor faucet covers.
- Confirm sump pumps are working and that there is a battery backup in place.
- Verify lawn sprinkler systems are directing the spray away from buildings to avoid excessive water on the walls and foundation.
- FIRE & SMOKE ALARM SYSTEMS
- Verify detectors are working properly.
- Check fire extinguisher tags for inspection dates and replace out of date equipment.
LET FAITH ENVIRON STUDIO HELP WITH YOUR MAINTENANCE PROJECTS!
Faith Environ Studio Architects in La Grange, IL provides personal attention to every detail for projects throughout the Midwest.
We can show you how to fix recurring maintenance problems and help your current buildings function better…and we are VERY adept at working with restricted budgets.